Extensive litigation experience representing environmental groups, individuals, municipalities, and Tribes in a wide variety of environmental, land use, and condemnation matters. Argued Methow Valley case in the United States Supreme Court. Frequent appearances before the Growth Management Hearings Boards, Shorelines Hearings Board, and other judicial and administrative tribunals. Provides consultation services to municipalities in the development of land use regulations and comprehensive plans and defending municipalities when challenged by dissatisfied land use applicants.
Assist environmental organizations in drafting legislation. Co-authored Model Toxics Control Act (State Superfund law) and Initiative 547 (precursor to Growth Management Act).
Past President of Washington Environmental Council and past Co-Chair of Washington Conservation Voters. Founding Member/Board Member, Futurewise (formerly 1000 Friends of Washington) (1991-present).
Formed Bricklin & Gendler partnership with emphasis on environmental and land use law in 1982. Formed Bricklin Newman Dold partnership in 2002. Partnership name changed to Bricklin & Newman in 2009.
Frequent lecturer at continuing legal education seminars including presentation on land use law to the Washington State Appellate Judicial Conference.
Membership and Activities
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Co-Chair, Washington Conservation Voters, 1991-1998; Board Member, Washington Conservation Voters, 1987-1998.
- Founding Member/Board Member, 1000 Friends of Washington (1991-present).
- General Counsel, Washington Environmental Council, 1990-2000.
- Board Member, Seattle Commons, 1994-1996.
- Founding Member/Secretary, Washington Environmental Alliance for Voter Education.
- President, Washington Environmental Council, 1986-1990.
- Co-Chair, Citizens for Balanced Growth (Initiative 547); co-authored Initiative 547.
- Co-Chair, Citizens Toxic Clean-up Campaign (Initiative 97), 1987-1988; co-authored Initiative 97 – Washington State’s supefund law.
- Director, Washington Environmental Council, 1983-1990.
- Member, Legislature’s Advisory Committee on State Environmental Policy Act, 1982-1983.
- Who’s Who: National Registry of Who’s Who: “Lifetime Member” (1998 ed.)
- Best Lawyers in America
- Certificate of Appreciation from Western Public Interest Law Conference, March 5, 1988.
- LLB, Harvard Law School 1977
- B.A., Michigan State University 1974